Ex-Coast man denies quake thefts

ShareThis

A 22-year-old former Greymouth man denies stealing three generators that were being used to provide back-up power for Christchurch’s emergency communications systems in the days after the February earthquake.
Jed Wilson-Calver, unemployed, now of Redwood, pleaded not guilty at a District Court session inside the Christchurch Men’s Prison today and now faces a wait of nearly two months in custody before the case comes before a status hearing.
He had sought release on bail at a session in the watch house below the Christchurch Central Police Station when he was arrested on February 25.
On that day, it was refused by Judge Michael Crosbie who had been told that Wilson-Calver had a wife and two-month-old child and would be able to leave Christchurch and live with his sister on the West Coast while on remand.
Defence lawyer Richard Peters told the court today that Wilson-Calver said he was not involved in the theft of the three emergency generators, worth a total of $6000, and would plead not guilty. Judge Neave remanded him in custody to June 7.
An alleged co-offender, Owen Anthony Jackson, a 23-year-old fisherman from Linwood, has also been in custody since the pair were arrested. — NZPA